Healing Lavender Calendula Coconut Salve
- Coconut oil and Calendula oil together can form a salve that can be used to relieve dryness of the skin
- This recipe of a healing salve works in a great way to nourish the skin
- This salve made from Coconut oil and Calendula oil is not only used for healing wounds but also for healing dry skin & chapped lips
Simply put, the salves are herbal ointments made from natural ingredients that are usually used to reduce skin dryness, moisturize chapped lips or heal any minor wound. It has calming properties and can help with the regeneration of damaged skin. However, salves can be made from different natural ingredients and can be used in various ways.
The Uses of a Salve
- Relieves from Insect Bites: With summer coming with its blazing sun, insects will roam around us. Insect bites are pretty irritating(literally and figuratively), and you can use the salve to reduce skin irritation caused by these bites.
- Handy in Healing Minor Burns: Let’s face it, we don’t always have our medical box ready at home, and minor burns from the kitchen or fun science experiments are typical. The natural salve can help heal your minor burns quickly, and provide a soothing sensation.
- Heals Small Wounds and Cuts: You or any of your family members can get paper cuts or wounds from fun or not so fun incidents. The salves can come to the rescue with their healing power and take care of your skin while tending to the wounds.
- Soothes Razor Burns: Razor burns can get really annoying and we all know it! What we probably don’t know is how to cure them? You can easily soothe your razor burn with a dab of salve and go on with your everyday business with a cheerful mind.
Why Use Coconut Oil in a Salve?
Although coconut is a superfood, coconut oil is not just used for beauty or food. Coconut oil has antifungal and antibacterial properties and can be used as a salve for cuts or wounds in any part of the body. Coconut oil contains lauric acid, which provides deep nourishment to the skin and relieves the skin’s dryness.
Coconut oil also helps to reduce inflammation of the skin so a coconut salve can be easily used as an ointment to heal any wound faster.
Qualities of calendula oil extracted from marigold
- Calendula oil salve has antifungal and antibacterial properties, which act as an antiseptic to heal any wound.
- You can form a salve using Coconut oil and Calendula oil to relieve dryness in the skin.
- Beeswax helps relieve dryness, cracking, etc., of the skin and prevents bacterial infections. It also retains moisture in the skin and helps to minimise pores.
- Lavender essential oil keeps blood circulation in the skin regular and brings extra freshness to the skin.
What you will need:
- ¾ cup of Calendula oil
- ¼ cup of Coconut oil
- 1-ounce Beeswax
- 15-18 drops of Lavender essential oil
- A pinch of dried Turmeric powder
- Small tin can
- Glass jar
- Small bowl
- Long wooden spoon
- Liquid measuring cup
In a large pot, heat water and place the small bowl over it to create a double boiler. A double boiler has to be prepared so that the ingredients do not come in direct contact with the heat and can melt easily.
Pour the calendula oil into the bowl. Lower the heat and grate the beeswax into the bowl. Then add coconut oil into the mixture and keep stirring.
When all the ingredients melt, add the lavender essential oil and a pinch of turmeric powder. Mix all the ingredients well and turn off the heat.
Put the mixture into a liquid measuring cup and pour it into a glass jar. Allow this calendula coconut oil salve to cool and use it.
1. Can you make a salve with coconut oil?
– Yes, you can make a salve at home with coconut oil. A salve made with calendula oil, beeswax, lavender oil, and coconut oil can benefit your dry skin and heal minor wounds. A Coconut oil salve can be also used for rashes and as a salve for lips.
2. How do you make a healing salve?
– A salve or ointment that can help accelerate the healing process must be made with ingredients that have healing properties. You can make a healing herbal salve with coconut oil, lavender oil, calendula oil, turmeric powder and beeswax. You need to use a double boiler to prepare this salve to make sure the ingredients don’t come in direct contact with heat and melt quickly. Put the calendula oil, beeswax, and coconut oil in a bowl, lower the burner, and keep stirring. When all the ingredients melt, add lavender oil and a pinch of turmeric powder. Let it cool, and there you have it, a healing salve.
3. How do you use a healing salve?
– After preparing a healing calendula salve, store it in a glass jar. You can use the healing salve for your minor wounds. You can also tend your dry skin with this healing salve by applying it directly and massaging the skin with your fingertips. In dry weather, you can moisturise your chapped lips by using them as a lip salve.
4. What is the healing salve used for?
– Healing salves are generally used for treating minor wounds. But a healing salve made with coconut oil, calendula oil and lavender oil has moisturising properties and can be used on dry skin. A healing salve can also be used as a lip salve to moisturise chapped lips. Its refreshing fragrance from lavender essential oil can also lift your mood almost immediately! You can also use it for soothing razor burns and insect bites.
The herbal salve made from Coconut oil and Calendula oil is used for healing wounds, dry skin, and chapped lips, etc. There is a unique fragrance in this salve due to the use of Lavender essential oil and together with coconut oil, it makes this salve a great way to nourish the skin.
Along with being useful for the skin, coconut is benefecial for hair too. You must check out the top 5 reasons why coconut is the most versatile seed of the soil. You’ll find many such blogs related to coconut in our coco science blog section, do give them a read!