How to get rid of flaky scalp using coconut oil
A dry and flaky scalp can be really bothersome. Also, tightness, scratching, etc. are some of the symptoms that can follow it. If you have a flaky or scaly scalp, you might notice that you’re scratching your head a lot or that tiny white flakes are all over your brown and black clothing.
A condition known as seborrheic dermatitis is the most common cause of a dry and flaky scalp. It’s also known as seborrheic eczema. There is a wide range of severity—some people only have mildly itchy flaky scalp with moderate amounts of flakes in hair, while others have thick, greasy scales encasing their hair with white flakes on the scalp and severe itching.
Let’s start by talking about the main causes behind flaky or scaly scalp.
Causes Behind An Itchy Flaky Scalp
There are several factors that can cause dry flakes on the scalp with problems like itching and discomfort. Here are a few –
Flaky scalp occurs when dead skin cells accumulate on the skin’s surface and form large, conspicuous white flakes. They then detach from the skin to sit on your shoulders and along the hair fibre.
We often tend to mix up dandruff with flaky scalp. Dandruff is not always caused by your skin type, and it normally differs from the tiny white flakes that occur when your scalp is naturally dry and flaky. This is important to know from the symptoms that you have a flaky scalp, not dandruff, because dandruff is not treated in the same way as a dry flaky scalp is.
Oily, sensitive, combination, normal, and dry skin types are the most common. Dry skin results from the skin’s inability to generate enough sebum and natural oils to keep itself moisturised. As a result, the top layer of the skin dries out, breaks, and sheds as fine flakes, which might explain why you’re seeing small white flakes on the scalp and hair.
Changes In Weather Or Humidity
Sudden changes in weather or humidity can cause moisture imbalance in your scalp, which can result in flaky problems. So, if you notice dry flakes on the scalp due to a weather change, try using ingredients that moisturise your scalp.
Hair Care Products
The chemicals and harmful elements of hair care products can suck out the moisture from your hair. As a result, you might notice white flakes in hair and experience itching on the scalp.
These are the main causes behind a flaky scalp. Also, infrequent shampooing, scalp folliculitis, stress, anxiety, irregular diet, etc. can also cause flaky scalp problems
Coconut Oil For Flaky Scalp : A Natural Flaky Scalp Treatment
If you are facing this problem and looking for a flaky scalp remedy, we have good news for you! As flaky scalp issues can be very problematic, you should always opt for an effective and harmless flaky scalp treatment. And about effectiveness and harmlessness, nothing is a better option than the natural methods.
The wonderful natural flaky scalp remedy, coconut oil has antifungal properties and it can help reduce the amount of yeast that causes dandruff on your scalp. Additionally, since coconut oil has been shown to have anti-inflammatory effects, it can help to relieve any scalp inflammation. Also, since the molecules in coconut oil are so small, they can penetrate the hair shaft and nourish your hair.
So, if you are noticing dry flakes on the scalp, you have got your natural solution! Now let’s discuss how we can use coconut oil to get rid of flaky scalp problems.
How To Use Coconut Oil For Flaky Scalp
You can use coconut oil for dry, flaky scalp in several ways. Here are two of them –
Coconut oil can be applied topically and used as a diy flaky scalp treatment.
- Warm up two tablespoons coconut oil
- Massage onto your scalp with your fingertips
- Allowing the oil to sit in for one or two hours
- Using your usual shampoo, thoroughly wash your hair
Apply As A Hair Mask
You can prepare a simple DIY hair mask at home. Here’s how –
- Three tablespoons of ghee
- Three tablespoons of coconut oil
- One tablespoon lemon juice
- One tablespoon aloe vera
How To Prepare
- Take ghee and coconut oil in a mixing bowl
- Add in the lemon juice and aloe vera
- Mix the ingredients and add to your hair evenly
- Start at the roots and work your way up the length of your hair
- Allow an hour for it to dry before washing it off with lukewarm water
Aloe vera contains a number of enzymes that help in the removal of dead skin cells and the prevention of hair loss. Ghee moisturizes the skin, prevents itching, and makes hair shiny and smooth. With the added benefits of ghee and aloe vera, this coconut oil hair mask works as one of the best home remedies for flaky scalp.
So, if you are facing dry scaly scalp problems, here you go, you have your solution! Apply topically or make this easy coconut oil hair mask at home and make the best of the magic of coconut.
1. Is coconut oil good for dry flaky scalp?
– Yes, coconut oil is good for dry scalp. It can help reduce the amount of yeast on your scalp that causes dry scalp. Also, since coconut oil has anti-inflammatory properties, it can aid in the relief of any scalp inflammation.
2. How do I get rid of dry flaky scalp?
– You can apply coconut oil topically or make an easy coconut oil hair mask at home to get rid of dry scalp. Coconut oil is one of the most effective home remedies for dry flaky scalp.
3. What causes the scalp to be flaky?
– There are different causes. Your dry scalp, skin type, changes in weather or humidity, etc. can make your scalp flaky.